Tuesday 21 March 2023

World Poetry Day: 'The Stare's Nest By My Window' by WB Yeats



 
It's World Poetry Day, and tonight I will be going to a Josephine Hart Poetry Hour event at the British Library, about WB Yeats. 

By my reckoning, Yeats has been in my life for about 30 years. I was a young teenager, as with so many of the artistic influences which ran into my bloodstream and stayed there forever. I was thinking tonight that the records I listened to between about 12-16 are part of who I am — they are me — and the records I listened to between about 17-22 are time machines, which is actually something quite different. Yeats is part of who I am and thus, part of what led me first from Canada and then to Ireland and then to London. And certainly to being a poet, as far as it goes. (A small thing, but mine own.) 

The poem that came to mind tonight, in another year of global turmoil, was Yeats's 'The Stare's Nest By My Window', part of the sequence 'Meditations in Time of Civil War'. It weaves together the extreme focus on the personal, the immediate and the close-by, with the broader crises and concerns which put the poet in that place of absolute focus in the first place. It grasps at what can be seen and held, and also hoped for, amidst profound uncertainty. This is, in varying degrees, the story of the world in recent years (and in less recent years). And it was written a little over a century ago.

Below is the poem, but you can read the entire sequence here, which I encourage you to do.  



THE STARE'S NEST BY MY WINDOW (WB YEATS)


The bees build in the crevices
Of loosening masonry, and there
The mother birds bring grubs and flies.
My wall is loosening; honey-bees,
Come build in the empty house of the stare. 

We are closed in, and the key is turned
On our uncertainty; somewhere
A man is killed, or a house burned.
Yet no clear fact to be discerned:
Come build in the empty house of the stare. 

A barricade of stone or of wood;
Some fourteen days of civil war:
Last night they trundled down the road
That dead young soldier in his blood:
Come build in the empty house of the stare.

We had fed the heart on fantasies,
The heart's grown brutal from the fare,
More substance in our enmities
Than in our love; O honey-bees,
Come build in the empty house of the stare.


3 comments:

  1. This is just the kind of post I love to see, sharing favourite poems!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many of Yeats’ poems feel (scarily) relevant to the world of today. I’d forgotten about this one - thank you for putting it in my web feed this evening. I grew up in Dublin so learned several of his poems off-by-heart at school and, like you describe, some lines are simply intrinsic to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In current unending upheavals, I feel like the bees, the loosening masonry, the mother birds, the grubs and flies all at once—a longing, of sorts, for something familiar and useful and of substance to which to cling. However did Yeats know that so many of us would feel exactly what he describes? The heart grown brutal from fantasy fare is right-on too.

    ReplyDelete