Friday 18 October 2013

Adam Zagajewski's 'Autumn': "Blue Knives Glinting In Her Glance"



Victor Westerholm, Landscape From Rath, 1880. Ateneum, Helsinki


Although the weather is remarkably warm here in London at the moment, the autumn darkness is closing in. In that spirit, here's a grim, fierce poem on the subject by the wonderful Polish poet Adam Zagajewski.


AUTUMN (Adam Zagajewski, translated by Renata Gorczynski)


The painting above is by Finnish landscape painter Victor Westerholm. He was the director of the Turku Art Gallery, in my mother's hometown of Turku - a gallery which had a very powerful effect on me as a child. Westerholm was fond of painting cows, and this painting's lack of bovine presences seems ominous indeed.

This blog entry is mainly to tide you over while I prepare what is hopefully a stunning-to-reasonably-good post on Lorca. I had hoped to perhaps produce the Lorca post tonight, but I'm not quite there yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment