Friday 15 March 2019

In memory of WS Merwin, 1927-2019





WS Merwin, one of the great American poets of our time, has just died at the age of 91. I have always found his poems to be deceptively, effortlessly beautiful.

This may be a slightly strange observation, but in his photos you can see that Merwin had brilliant, light-filled eyes. His eyes looked very much the way his poems feel, to me.

Here are a few of my favourite Merwin poems.

VIXEN

NIGHT SINGING

THANKS



Photo: Tree by Martin Svedén. Used under Creative Commons license

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing those poems. I read quite a lot of his poetry at one time. It's a shame but I have to admit that it's taken his death to remind me to read him. I won't leave it so long this time before I do it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting and glad you enjoyed the poems. I know what you mean about being reminded or prompted by someone's death to read them. It happens far too much to far too many of us! I particularly love the Merwin poems I posted, but I am no expert on his work and I too have been reminded to read more of him.

      Delete